A. Make friends with others who make art, and share your in-progress work with each other frequently.
B. Learn to think of (A), rather than the Museum of Modern Art, as the destination of your work. (Look at it this way: If all goes well, MOMA will eventually come to YOU.) - David Bayles & Ted Orland, Art & Fear
Friday, February 18, 2011
recent assemblages
Some of the small pieces currently kicking around my studio. I think of them as sketches.
Eden, these sketches, these beautiful, haunting, assembled statues/studies...well no wonder you go crazy when you're not in your studio enough. What inspiration to be around!
I am particularly drawn to the "kneeling" bird bones. It seems animate, capable of telling you things as you stare at it in thought. The surface of it, the proneness of if, the wholeness of it...it's a beautiful and alive study.
The broken statue, left with just one of it's four hands with the sea-pod carapace...teaming with the feelings of ritual and religion, also feels of something menacing, dark, and alive. It's partly that "eye"- it follows you. I like the feeling it gives me...somehow, even though we live to find our comforts, our peace, to be at ease...this piece reminds me also of the feeling we have to be out of our element, unsure, frightened maybe, unnerved. So maybe this piece brings an aliveness to me, in my thoughts, to delve into thoughts I'm possibly afraid to understand.
Thank you for sharing. Sorry for my long delay in responding. I wasn't in a place to take in much more than I was. It's so good to finally take in this work that you and Phil and Ben have shared. It's inspiring too.
1 comment:
Eden, these sketches, these beautiful, haunting, assembled statues/studies...well no wonder you go crazy when you're not in your studio enough. What inspiration to be around!
I am particularly drawn to the "kneeling" bird bones. It seems animate, capable of telling you things as you stare at it in thought. The surface of it, the proneness of if, the wholeness of it...it's a beautiful and alive study.
The broken statue, left with just one of it's four hands with the sea-pod carapace...teaming with the feelings of ritual and religion, also feels of something menacing, dark, and alive. It's partly that "eye"- it follows you. I like the feeling it gives me...somehow, even though we live to find our comforts, our peace, to be at ease...this piece reminds me also of the feeling we have to be out of our element, unsure, frightened maybe, unnerved. So maybe this piece brings an aliveness to me, in my thoughts, to delve into thoughts I'm possibly afraid to understand.
Thank you for sharing. Sorry for my long delay in responding. I wasn't in a place to take in much more than I was. It's so good to finally take in this work that you and Phil and Ben have shared. It's inspiring too.
Post a Comment